So this weekend was spent mostly studying, reading, and relaxing (and catching up on sleep). We're starting to try and settle in to living in London, and it's fantastic.
We're still finding time to just go explore the city as well. The other day, we went to wander around Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square, as well as take a look at some of the theatres in the area.
The Eros fountain in Piccadilly Circus, which is basically the Times Square of London. A little too crowded and touristy for my taste, but still fun to see. I also believe the fountain is being replicated for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Diagon Alley theme park expansion in Orlando!
Trafalgar Square at twilight. It was beautiful. We also had an interesting conversation here with some people about our age who invited us to their church. The girl was enthralled that we were Americans; she thought we were Europeans! They were really nice and we had a nice friendly conversation.
Nelson's Column; not the best picture, but I was trying!
Fuzzy, but the scene just looked so picturesque, with the lion looking out at the iconic red bus and Big Ben.
On Saturday, we got up early to go explore some of the local markets. We stopped at Portobello Market, and it was so fun! I didn't get a lot of pictures because I was just so excited looking at everything. We did get some delicious pastries there though!
I happened to see this plaque on one of the cute houses on Portobello Road; George Orwell, the author of 1984, Animal Farm, and various other works lived here!
Sunday was devoted to church and sleep. Church was great, as it usually is. Most of the ward we went to seemed to be made up of BYU students; there were at least two different study abroad programs there! After church, we came home and just crashed; my roommate and I were completely out from about 12:30 to 4 pm. The only reason we woke up is because someone knocked on our door!
Today, we simply studied and did a little shopping. We went to Hyde Park to read. It was absolutely beautiful, and so serene. We got a little distracted people watching as well. It's a public bank holiday today, so there were lots of families enjoying the sunshine, and lots of dogs running around! I love how they let the park stay so wild, with the cool long grass and the trees.
This afternoon, we headed to Primark, which is a pretty awesome department store, and then to dinner at Wahaca, a Mexican restaurant. The quesadillas were delicious (and bigger than we were expecting)!
After dinner we stopped by Hummingbird bakery, which my friend Christine who came to London last year recommended. I got her favorite black bottom cupcake to try!
Our last stop on the way home was Waterstones, where I picked up nearly all of the Harry Potter books I hadn't picked up before. I still haven't gotten the first book yet, but then my collection will be complete!
Well, tomorrow is a school day, and we are going to our first West End musical. London life is simply lovely!
No comments:
Post a Comment