Thursday, May 1, 2014

Live from London!

Apologies in advance for anything that doesn't make sense...my head is a little confused with time zones, travelling, and a cold.

I am officially in London!

It's been a hectic few days. I took off on Tuesday afternoon from Salt Lake, and after an uneventful first flight (except for a truly awful landing), we stopped in New York with just enough time to grab some dinner and board our flight to Heathrow, where we landed on Wednesday morning. That's about 11 hours in a very small space, and I probably only slept for about three. Apologies to everyone who was around me as well, as I was snuffling the entire time.

Once we landed, it was time to find our way to the flats we're staying at for the first week or so until the BYU London Centre is ready for us. One of our professors had given us directions, but yesterday the Tube workers just happened to be on strike, which meant that the Tube wasn't running like it usually does. We finally made it to a station that was the closest we could get to our flats, and about eight of us girls set off down the street dragging our luggage behind us. Aaaaand of course, we got lost. I mean, we had no idea where we were going in the first place, and we were all exhausted. Luckily, a few people noticed our confusion and helped us find our way. After we settled in, we set off to look around a bit (and try not to fall asleep).

We're staying in South Kensington. It's a beautiful area. The thing I love about London is that unlike other big cities, it seems relatively quiet. I mean, in New York it was constant sensory overload. Here, everything just seems really peaceful. And everything is beautiful. My least favorite thing is the enormous amount of smoking. I end up coughing every few feet from the smell.

Today, we had our first classes and then set off to explore some more. This time, we took the Tube to downtown London, the part that seems to be in all of the pictures you see of the city. We wandered around for a while, but I'm still pretty tired, as you can tell in the pictures. I'm also trying to take DayQuil to get rid of this cold, and I'm a little foggy. It's also raining today, and my hair is surprisingly holding up pretty well (thank goodness - I woke up this morning looking like a lion).


Today's lunch: fish and chips that were so hot, they melted the container



We also stopped by the Supreme Court building, and I really liked the seal with the four flowers/plants that represent the four countries in the UK.



No comments:

Post a Comment