Sunday, September 15, 2013

Autumn is in the air

This week, I opened my bedroom window in the hopes of cooling down our apartment (which was ridiculously hot for some reason), and a fresh breeze blew in with the sweetest scent in the air: autumn.

Autumn is my favorite season, closely followed by winter. I love everything that comes with it. I love the cooler mornings and evenings, when the breeze comes in. I love the rain, and the smell of petrichor. I love the shivery feeling you get, deep down inside of you, making every cell in my body feel alive and new. I love the scent of leaves, and that musty decay smell that mixes with the fresh, cool air.

I love the feeling of wearing sweaters and jeans and boots, of pulling out scarves and hats. I love curling up with a blanket and a mug of peppermint hot chocolate and listening to the rain on the windows.

I love fresh apples and everything that comes from them: apple fritters, fresh squeezed apple juice, pie, apple cinnamon oatmeal.

I love the way the sunlight looks different, like it's being diffused in filters of red and orange and golden rod, especially the sunrise and sunset. It's not as glaring as it is in the summer.

I love the sudden bursts of color everywhere; the trees displayed in everything from golden yellow to firey red, the earth becoming deeper, richer brown.

Everything seems softer in the fall. As things start to creep towards winter hibernation and the cold, everything slows down to a comfortable, dreamy sleep-like state, and you can see its beauty a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment