We really do do some random things out here. So here's a little snapshot into the life of a freshman college kid...
One of my favorite things that has happened so far this
semester is the initiation of Sunday game night. There’s a little group of us
who gather in my neighbors’ apartment every Sunday after ward prayer to just
hang out, play some card or board games, and usually eat food. This week, we
had a great game of Clue.
First of all, never play this game with AJ if you’re just
looking for a really laid back game. The kid is on the warpath to win that game
for once. He pretty much had all of our cards figured out by the end of the
game, and he was probably the first to figure out what was in the envelope.
However, Alex and I figured it out pretty soon after he did, and it was a race
to the finish.
Now, I’m pretty obvious when playing Clue. It’s not very
hard to figure out what cards I’m holding. Lucky me got a few good breaks,
though, and I figured out the cards in the envelope one right after another.
But Alex’s strategy was to hold me and AJ back so he could get there first.
Meanwhile, AJ is trying to keep both of us back and confuse us all to get there
first. I wasn’t one hundred percent sure I had it right, so I was trying to use
their strategies to finalize mine and get to the envelope first. I’m pretty
sure by that point, Cassidy and Bekah had given up and were just trying to mess
with the three us who were trying to win. We ended with Rachel filling in for
Alex, AJ just a few steps away, and Alex/Rachel set perfectly to win. Alex
ended up winning (he came back right after Rachel won for him).
Sunday game night has also led to our new nicknames. I
really don’t remember how we got started on these, but I’m pretty sure it was
the boys giving all the girls ours. And so, Kennerley is JFK (apparently
because Kennerley sounds like Kennedy); Cassidy is Sid the Kid; Bekah is Jake
(from Jacot – it took them a while to decide on that one); Kat is Kaaaarl (it
has to be said just like that, too); AJ is Alice Jane (our best reusing of his
initials); Alex is Alexa (not our most original, but it works); and I am either
Al or Tony (Alex has called me Al for a while, and AJ started calling me Tony
when I mentioned that if I had been a boy, my parents were thinking of calling
me Anthony). We’re a pretty crazy bunch, at once super competitive and laid
back. Take, for example, last week’s game of Pit. At one point, AJ and I were
fighting over a card, both cracking up, while everyone else was laughing at us
too. Not to mention the fact that the entire building probably heard us, we got
so loud.
This is going to be one of the things I miss the most after
this semester. These impromptu things that turn into the best memories. Bekah
and I were talking the other night about how this will all change so soon. We
are halfway through this semester! Only two months until we leave, off on
missions, or to go home, or just moving somewhere else around campus. And two
months will go so fast! Don’t remind me!
No comments:
Post a Comment